Welcome to week 4 of the One Room Challenge. If you landed here and don’t know what that’s all about, you can catch up on my previous posts here:
We have had a few setbacks this week but in the big scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter – it’s just renovating/decorating and these things happen. But on to what has happened and where we are.
The island is exactly what I had envisioned when I first saw the house – a long (but narrow) island in front of a wall of cabinetry. Because it is a narrow space, placing the island on legs gives it an airier feel. It really is a custom piece of furniture that you might see in an English country kitchen and has a ton of storage. I love it and the gorgeous Silestone counter. It’s 8′ of functionality and prettiness all combined into one. My daughter says it looks like it should be on a cooking show set so whenever I’m cooking I humour her by pretending I’m a celebrity chef. 🙂
One way to discern whether cabinetry is well made are dovetail joints:
And the beautiful crown moulding from Metrie was installed. My cabinetmaker built a frieze so that the crown would reach the ceiling. Nothing worse than crown that is a few inches shy of the ceiling like I had in my former kitchen. And I love the off white cabinetry colour – Benjamin Moore Silver Satin.
My to do list is pretty much the same as last week:
- install hood fan (there was a little snag with this and the duct work so the decorative hood fan has to be reworked)
- install backsplash (down to the wire – happening next week)
- install pendants (another snag – hoping I will have them for the photo shoot) and wall sconce (installed this Friday)
- install drapery (this Friday with Q Design)
- paint counter stools – thank you to my friends at Paint it Like New who are taking this off my hands.
- style it pretty (my most favourite part.) I couldn’t wait to play around with the glass door cabinets and display some pretty things. Most items I already had but some are purchases from the revamped Wiliams Sonoma store in Yorkdale – love!
Have a happy week!