Things are moving along with my kitchen reno/makeover. We are now on week three of the One Room Challenge where participants are renovating, designing or decorating a space in six very short weeks. To catch up, read my previous posts here.
This past week, the following was accomplished:
1) Backsplash removed and with it, most of the drywall unfortunately. This will be repaired shortly and then the backsplash will go up next week. The white glossy subway tile with a handmade quality has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow – just in time for the tiler on Monday.
2) The Silestone counter was installed. It’s the Lagoon colour which mimics marble without the upkeep. It’s in their Suede finish which is matte and I love it. (Stay tuned for a separate post on the counter.)
3) My Blanco sink was installed and I love the deep 9″ bowl and the round corners. (Stay tuned for an entire post on choosing a kitchen sink once the kitchen has been professionally photographed.)
4) The Moen Waterhill faucet in a chrome finish was installed. I have always loved bridge faucets but needed to find one short enough so that I could still open my shutters. Because of the design of this one with the high arc attached to the center piece, it worked perfectly without an inch to spare. I debated getting it in a black finish which I first spied in this kitchen but in the end stuck with my tried and true chrome.
5) The gorgeous hardware from Top Knobs arrived. They are the Button Faced knob and I chose the polished nickel finish which looked a lot better with my cabinetry than chrome. They are substantial (1-1/4″) and have a real solid feel to them. So happy with this choice for the doors. I ordered bin pulls for the drawers from Restoration Hardware as I mentioned in an earlier post.
So here is still what needs to be done in the remaining three weeks.
Week 4 (next week):
1) Electrical – move the outlets down closer to the counter.
2) Repair the drywall.
3) Install the backsplash
4) Install cabinet extension and new crown moulding, end panels on peninsula and range hood. (I still need to order the hood insert. The non-pretty things keep falling off my radar!)
1) Install wallpaper.
2) Install pendant over the sink.
3) Clean the floor tile grout.
4) Install the antique mirror on the four upper cabinets.
Week 6 (final reveal):
1) Styling (which means sourcing quite a few items) and professional photographs.
Let’s hope there are no hiccups along the way and everything goes smoothly.